Animosity Forum | Animosity Blog | Campaign wargaming for fun

T minus 365 days. Eep!

Just fancy chatting rubbish? Feel free to do it here...

T minus 365 days. Eep!

Postby Craig » 23 Jun 2014, 10:50

I am aware that there are actually quite a large number of ex soldiers on here. In 365 days I join your illustrious ranks, which is quite a scary thought. As I prepare to make the transition there are lots of things I need to consider, most of which I probably have not even thought of yet. My biggest concern now is that I have 1 year to find myself proper employment, and the most immediate decision point is writing a CV. For those who have been through a similar (traumatic) experience, do you have any advice on this, or anything else? Thanks. :)
Craig
Stormboy

Re: T minus 365 days. Eep!

Postby chilledmonkeybrains » 23 Jun 2014, 11:19

Well, I can't offer any specific advice since I ain't ex-Forces (2 years in the TA whilst at art college doesn't count...), but these are pretty good places to start for CV writing advice:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/careers-advice/cv-templates/1661/top-tips-for-cv-writing/
http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv.htm
http://www.theguardian.com/culture-professionals-network/culture-professionals-blog/2012/mar/15/cv-tips-first-arts-job

Hopefully some of the ex-Forces guys can give you some more specific advice. One year isn't long... Good luck!

James
My sculpting blog: chilledmonkeybrains.com
chilledmonkeybrains
Master of the Administratum

Postby venerabledread » 23 Jun 2014, 12:55

The resettlement courses are pretty handy for advice, especially on CV's. my advice would be to make sure you squeeze all you can from the relevant department. I got screwed out of 3k's worth of tree surgery course because they 'lost' my paperwork.
venerabledread

Postby MatBarron » 23 Jun 2014, 17:03

The best thing I have heard about the CTP workshop is the CV writing course. Just to give you the heads up though, you need to take a CV with you. Have a look at the links above then take that with you. Remember you need to tailor your CV to the job you are going for.
Dwarfs
Undead
Crimson Fists
Imperial Guard
And introducing Imperial Fists
P.S Squats when I get round to them.
MatBarron
One of da boyz

Postby Deathguard nick » 23 Jun 2014, 19:31

Get yourself down to the Ed-center ASAP and get yourself booked on a resettlement course, try to do it as close to the area that you are planning to live in once you've left even if the means an RAF or Navy base. it's the best way to find out about the job scene in the area.
get booked on some other courses as well, also ensure your registered for enhanced learning credits. Lastly make sure you gather or obtain all of the certificates for any training courses that you've done in the army such as command courses, first aid IT ect. Good luck it's a real culture shock!
Deathguard nick
Nob wiv loadsa dakka!

Postby Craig » 23 Jun 2014, 19:34

Can I still tell my troops... colleagues... that I am going to punch them in the throat if they don't do as I tell them?
Craig
Stormboy

Postby Llamafish » 23 Jun 2014, 19:36

Craig wrote:Can I still tell my troops... colleagues... that I am going to punch them in the throat if they don't do as I tell them?

I have had a boss like that before :P
Llamafish

Postby Deathguard nick » 24 Jun 2014, 19:42

Craig wrote:Can I still tell my troops... colleagues... that I am going to punch them in the throat if they don't do as I tell them?

Nope! you can't even make people do burpies until their eye's bleed if they piss you off, oh how I miss the mob!
Deathguard nick
Nob wiv loadsa dakka!

Postby Craig » 25 Jun 2014, 11:17

Bloody hell! How do you get work out of anybody?!
Craig
Stormboy

Postby Deathguard nick » 25 Jun 2014, 17:23

it's civi street you have to pay more or give more leave to improve productivity or threaten them with the sack and then spend the rest of the year fighting a bullying charge!
Deathguard nick
Nob wiv loadsa dakka!

Next

Return to Off topic forum