Animosity Forum | Animosity Blog | Campaign wargaming for fun

APOCALYPTICON UK

Aftermath, a feedback forum following Animosity Wargaming Events.

Re: APOCALYPTICON UK

Postby venerabledread » 12 Nov 2014, 17:38

We had intended for the power dice to be co-ordinated in this way but it was one of those things that got lost in the melee when our Selected TO went on maternity leave, it was supposed to be rolled then displayed on screen with the timer but hey-ho these things do happen.

The resurrection points were abused, by myself as well. The idea of them was for those players with smaller forces to be able to return miniatures so they weren't wiped out by Sunday morning but as you say, it ended up being a big boys escape clause. We'll alter all that if we do it again, maybe each 500 point resurrection token is a maximum points within the token or allocate it a a stratagem following the max hull points/wounds rule? We'll work something new or make the potential force org changes include a larger minimum and dispense with resurrection altogether if necessary.

I was an early packer, you'll have to go with it in my case as I had too much to do and had I left it until afterwards I'd have been there unit after midnight! The fact that everything was dead up our end didn't help this I guess.

Yeah, the points will be best held close to our chest, though it's a 'fun' event I dint want people to get the wrong idea about the final scores, especially when there are prizes involved for certain achievements. Providing they aren't destroyed in the meantime the main objectives will be utilised again next time but I will try to get the ancillary objectives sorted too for outlying point collection so folk are moving beyond half way. I realised very quickly that awarding points for contested objectives was pointless (or should have been) 2 points each was essentially the same as 0 points but just made total more impressive in the end, not really necessary.
venerabledread
Master of the Administratum

Postby venerabledread » 12 Nov 2014, 17:46

There has been some great feedback so far. To the point where I can look back on the anguish of the build up (believe me it was extreme), and look at considering 2015?

If it is going to happen we'll need your support again, so if you would like to see a second APOCALYPTICON UK let us know here so we can get an early start on the prep.
venerabledread

Postby chilledmonkeybrains » 13 Nov 2014, 11:09

I'd be up for bringing a small force for any 'kill team' type FISH* action! I'll defo have something ready for next year, even if they are strange (and potentially useless) techno-barbarians! :lol:

* For the uninitiated, FISH stands for Fighting In Someone's House. It's official astartes battle tongue...
My sculpting blog: chilledmonkeybrains.com
chilledmonkeybrains

Postby Rhysb » 13 Nov 2014, 16:39

I would be up for a 2nd Apocalypticon and will help any way I can to make this happen.
Rhysb
One of da boyz

Postby Craig » 13 Nov 2014, 16:39

I think you'll find the acronym is Fisch. Fighting in some ****'s house. :p
Craig
Stormboy

Postby SlayerDan » 13 Nov 2014, 23:30

I'll be involved from the get go for APOC2 and can assure you it will be even smoother (if possible) and hopefully have a bit more say on the actual rules set etc

My two pence on the reviving side:

I'd be happy to see it gone completely and make it a battle to the death on all sides. If your big titan blows up, tough tits. I think it would make for a far more interesting 2nd day and you'd still have enough to deal with everything IMO on the table instead of going "woo we took his mega-titan-of-made-up-rules down...only for it to come STRAIGHT BACK ON...and kill everything that just killed it". I found it demoralised both sides equally when that happened.

It would make for more cinematic moments and get some nitty gritty action to make the small guys worth it (I.E like my Firewarriors EMP'ing Baneblades, maybe because I told Rhys not to shoot them as they were innocent and harmless...) as much as the big bad toys.
SlayerDan
Runt

Postby chilledmonkeybrains » 14 Nov 2014, 10:06

Being a reincarnated noob, I have no say on the rules but like the sound of Dan's idea regarding non-resurrection, at least in principle.

@ Craig - Yeah, I wanted to keep it clean for da kids but FISCH is better... ;)
My sculpting blog: chilledmonkeybrains.com
chilledmonkeybrains

Postby Rhysb » 14 Nov 2014, 11:41

The primary idea behind resurrection was to help those with smaller armies and ensure that they would still have units to use on the Sunday. Perhaps next time only players with 5k or under can use them and limit the amount of hull points a token can bring back on, to avoid them being miss spent.

More narrative and cinematic elements will make for a great game, people will always remember the time that the lone guardsmen killed Abaddon etc. It looks like we are all coming from the same page here.
Next year if possible I think participants should get an email of all the scratch built/home made rules so they are better prepared for them. With forewarning players wont be so shocked and can voice any concerns with plenty of time to sort out issues.

P.S. Those Tau will get it next year Dan.
Rhysb
One of da boyz

Postby SirTainly » 14 Nov 2014, 12:27

Most of the homebrew rules are available on the forum here, we have a list of approved datasheets as well. I'm hoping though to get a more comprehensive set of datasheets in place by next year so you should be able to see exactly what you may be facing.
SirTainly
Nob wiv loadsa dakka!

Postby Vraksianrebel » 14 Nov 2014, 14:30

however in time for next year we will make sure everyone is aware of them before hand.

i personally have no real objection to losing the resurrection, it was really frustrating to take out scotts imperator te detonation of which took out 90% of my army only for it to come straight back and kill almost all that was left on the table.

other points that made a real dent in my game was the death of transports.
the new rules for transports state that if you are hit with a template weapon everyone inside is also hit with the same template, this resulted in most of my army being hit with a D strike from scotts titan detonation and killed without ever having got out of the carry case.
i dont know how we can tweak that but its a real problem for orks and dark eldar,
Vraksianrebel

PreviousNext

Return to Animosity: Aftermath