Animosity Forum | Animosity Blog | Campaign wargaming for fun

Stripping to Metal!

The place for hints & tips, tutorials and general advice relating to painting.

Stripping to Metal!

Postby venerabledread » 22 Apr 2014, 14:46

Stripping to metal!

No, it's not about the emo students making their university fees, it's a hobby article!

Forum guests and hobbyists frequently ask for advice or articles in stripping miniatures for repainting. Here is my guide to stripping METAL miniatures. This guide should not be followed for plastics or resin as the results will be upsetting!

You will need...

Nitromors (the stripper)
White spirit (the cleaner)
Water (the other cleaner)
Pliers
Toothbrush (or suitably bristly brush)
A bucket
A metal or glass receptacle
A smaller metal or glass receptical

Gloves (rubber)
Goggles
Other safety stuff!

The premise is simple. Place your metal miniatures in a bowl or receptical (metal or glass as plastic will degrade and melt). Then add nitromors liberally. This stuff is hardcore so be very careful to protect your eyes and skin etc. probably worth using respiratory protection as well to be in the safe side, a dust mask and a ventilated area should suffice. After a few minutes the nitromors will have begun to do its stuff however I like to leave the miniatures to soak over night. In the morning you'll end up with a boggy quagmire of mess.

This is normal. Now, wearing all the relevant protective gear, especially gloves, remove a miniature from the gunk using the plier. Over the gunk give it a scrub with the tooth brush. Be careful not to splash or spray it about yourself.

The paint the is remaining should easy fall off under the bristles of the tooth brush. The next stage is optional but I prefer to use it rather than bypass it.

Dip the mini into a small pot of white spirit and brush with brush. Remove then dip and brush in the water. Be sure to brush well as this is your cleaning phase. Once the mini has been removed from the water a d you are sure all nitromors and white spirit is gone, place to one side to dry.

Skip the white spirit if you wish but always wash with cold water!

Retrieve the next miniature from the muck and clean with white spirit the water again. Repeat this with each mini until you are done.

Today I was left with a pile like this...

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 2408 times

How much nitromors you use is a personal preference, I used a whole tin to strip over 100 minis at the same time. I have used this method many times but take it slowly if you're unsure or just testing.

You can leave the minis for days and they won't degrade in this (because they're metal! Don't use plastic). Be sure to dispose of waste carefully and be extremely vigilant when using nitromors, it takes the paint of efficiently because its nasty shit!

There are other methods of stripping metal, this is just the one I am comfortable and practiced in the use of.

Stripping to metal, as easy as that!
venerabledread
Master of the Administratum

Re: Stripping to Metal!

Postby venerabledread » 22 Apr 2014, 15:02

Nitromors

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 2408 times
venerabledread

Postby chilledmonkeybrains » 22 Apr 2014, 15:15

Nice article mate. Those pictures are friggin massive though! ;)
My sculpting blog: chilledmonkeybrains.com
chilledmonkeybrains

Postby venerabledread » 22 Apr 2014, 20:49

I just loaded them straight from phone. There were many more but I deleted them when I saw the size on the screen.
venerabledread

Return to Painting guides